Seminar: Railway Harmonisation—Report 114
On 14 and 15 June 2006, up to 200 delegates met at Parliament House to discuss and debate Australia's transport future and the role for government. This was the sixth transport Colloquium for the Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics (BTRE) and the second time it was held in the Mural Hall. It was the first time the BTRE has held the event in successive years. The theme for this year's Colloquium was Transport Reform, Competition and the Future and some of the key themes on the agenda included regulation, competition, urban congestion, the transport of freight, regional and international aviation, and energy.
Videos of the Colloquium presentations are available. Please contact BTRE for more details.
Date of Event
01 June 2006
- Clifford Winston PPT: 44 KB
- Jonathan Firth PPT: 779 KB
- Geoff Dixon, Chief Executive, Qantas DOC: 48 KB
- Professor Christopher Findlay, University of Adelaide DOC: 51 KB
- Andrew Miller, Chief Executive Officer, Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation PPT: 1295 KB
- Graeme Samuel, Chairman, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission PDF: 57 KB
- Peter Kain, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics PPT: 2182 KB
- Professor Henry Ergas, Vice President and Country Head Australia, CRA International PPT: 130 KB
- Andrew Davis, Director Development, P&O Ports, Australia/New Zealand PPT: 1046 KB
- Lyn Martin, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics PPT: 3990 KB
- Paul Mees, University of Melbourne PPT: 2263 KB
- Phil Sayeg, Policy Appraisal Services, Brisbane PDF: 1648 KB
- Professor Derek Scrafton, Transport Systems Centre, University of South Australia PPT: 28 KB
- David Gargett, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics PPT: 298 KB
- Steve Meyrick, Principal, Meyrick and Associates PPT: 2078 KB
- Greg Gibbins, Director, FCL Interstate Transport Services PPT: 2614 KB
Session 7—Air transport services for regional Australia—what are the issues?
- Introduction. Poh Ping Lim, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics PPT: 555 KB
- Michael Bridge, Chief Executive, AirNorth and Chair, Regional Aviation Association of Australia. Towards a new beginning PPT: 89 KB
- Peter Dale, Executive Officer, Riverina Regional Development Board and Chair, Wagga Wagga City Council Aiport Advisory Committee. Effective regional aviation services—an airport perspective DOC: 69 KB
- Ian Thomas, Senior Consultant, Industry Affairs, Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation. Regional aviation: subsidise or perish?—A dilemma for government policy? PPT: 495 KB
Session 8—Trends in energy for transport—what are the policy implications?
- Introduction. David Cosgrove, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics PPT: 8730 KB
- Russell Caplan, Chairman, Shell Australia. Global trends in transport fuels and the implications for Australian policy PPT: 3331 KB
- Associate Professor Ray Kearney, University of Sydney. Health impacts of fossil fuel pollutants—alternative fuels are mandatory PPT: 2859 KB
- Vic Johnston, Manager, Government Sales and Prius, Toyota. Change: An automotive perspective PPT: 9562 KB
Session 9—Key conclusions and policy challenges
- Discussion led by Professor Peter Forsyth, Monash University and Clifford Winston, The Brookings Institution, Washington DC PPT: 302 KB