Publications by year: 1981
This page is a listing of all BITRE publications released in 1981.
- Transport of Slaughter Cattle in AustraliaResearch Report 50December 1981This Report presents the results of an investigation of the market conduct and performance of that part of the road haulage industry which undertakes the transportation of cattle intended for slaughter at abattoirs for human consumption.
- Road Construction Price Indexes 1969–70 to 1980–81Research Report 49December 1981This Report presents input-price indexes for national road construction activity for the period 1969–70 to 1980–81.
- National Travel Survey 1977–78: General Overview and AssessmentResearch Report 48December 1981The aim of this Report is to provide a general overview of all aspects of the National Travel Survey (NTS).
- Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme: A 'Landbridge' Approach to the Estimation of Subsidy RatesResearch Report 47December 1981Studies are presented of the costs incurred by Australian industries on mainland interstate long distance freight transport, and the factors determining the freight rates charged between Tasmania and the mainland and the potential for cost reductions.
- Estimates of Freight Travelling to and from Sydney along the Hume and Pacific HighwaysInformation Paper 6July 1981This Paper presents the final results from a Bureau survey of trucks passing through checking stations located on the Hume and Pacific Highways in NSW at Marulan and Berowra respectively, to obtain information on the quantity and nature of road freight travelling to and from Sydney along these two major highways.
- Estimates of the Task of Transporting Principal Rural Products in Australia in 1975–76Information Paper 5July 1981The study identifies and measures the transport task undertaken for the principal rural products in tonnes consigned, tonne kilometres performed and freight charges paid by the users.
- Road Grants Legislation in Australia: Commonwealth Government Involvement 1900–1981Occasional Paper 48June 1981This Paper details how the scope and purpose of Commonwealth assistance to the States (and, through the States, to Local Government) for roads has varied over the years.
- Energy Policies and Company Cars: An Application of Experimental Design Methods in Economic ResearchOccasional Paper 47June 1981With company cars being perceived as generally larger and less fuel-efficient than average vehicles, and travelling greater distances and replaced more frequently, it seems useful to examine the effectiveness of policies that might have potential fuel conservation effects.
- Demand for International Air Travel: a Conceptual and Operational FrameworkOccasional Paper 46June 1981The emphasis in this paper is on the development of a suitable conceptual and operational framework within which a policy-sensitive empirical travel choice model could be estimated.
- Freight Transport Energy Consumption: A Comparison Between the Efficiency of the Modes in the Non-Bulk TaskOccasional Paper 45June 1981The paper compares energy consumption characteristics of the three main freight modes (road, rail and sea) when undertaking comparable tasks.
- Economic Analysis of Non-Price Rationing With Particular Reference to PetrolOccasional Paper 44May 1981The study concludes that as fuel may be rationed in some way, it is useful to examine the various forms of non-price rationing so as to discover their merits and flaws,particularly their costs, relative to price rationing.
- Review of Road Freight Regulation in BritainOccasional Paper 43February 1981The desirability of de-regulating road freight has long been a subject of discussion and action by governments in Australia; several aspects of road freight regulation in Britain are considered, which may be relevant to freight policy in Australia.
- A Guide to the Control of Photochemical PollutionOccasional Paper 41February 1981The present work builds on that published previously to develop a discussion of the basic principles and specific measures appropriate to the improvement of urban air quality.
- National Travel Survey 1977–78: Statistical Adjustments and Final ResultsOccasional Paper 42February 1981This Paper discusses the sources of bias and errors in the 1977–78 National Travel Survey data and presents a method of adjusting the statistical results for non-response bias.
- Some Characteristics of Truck Ownership in AustraliaOccasional Paper 40January 1981This paper presents estimates of the concentration of ownership and the geographic distribution of the Australian trucking fleet.