Road Safety Statistics
The latest Australian road fatality data (May 2018) shows that:
- During calendar 2017 there were 1,226 road deaths (provisional).
- For 2018, there have been 561 deaths (provisional). This is 4 deaths (0.7%) lower than the same period last year.
National statistics on fatal road crashes are updated each month in the online Australian Road Deaths Database, and in the Road Deaths Australia monthly bulletins.
If the statistics you need are not in our Regular Road Safety Publications or Occasional Road Safety Publications below, then please contact us at email@example.com.
Regular Road Safety Publications
This bulletin contains monthly summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes.
This bulletin contains annual summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes.
Quarterly statistical summaries of fatal heavy vehicle crashes
This bulletin contains annual summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes involving heavy vehicles.
This report presents summaries of fatalities and fatality rates for Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations and Australian states and territories. The latest year for the country comparisons is 2013.
This Excel sheet provides summary traffic hospitalised injury series. These series are produced by the National Injury Surveillance Unit at Flinders University under an agreement with the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
Occasional Road Safety Publications
- Motorcycling Safety
- Light commercial vehicle safety
- Developing national road safety indicators for injury
- Heavy truck safety: crash analysis and trends
- Australian cycling safety,
- Pedestrians and road safety,
- The impact of airbags and electronic stability control on Australian light vehicle fatalities,
- Impact of road trauma and measures to improve outcomes,
- Road safety of older Australians,
- Young adult road safety,
- Child pedestrian safety.
The National Road Safety Strategy sets out nationally agreed objectives, targets and priorities for road safety improvement in Australia. More information including NRSS statistical indicators are available at roadsafety.gov.au.
Statistical alerts for recent OECD road safety reports are available here.
External links to OECD and Australian state and territory road safety data are available here.